Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Can you say...Coco Chanel


As if you already know, fashion has been the peanut butter to my jelly ever since I can remember. All of THIS started when I was introduced and discovered the magnificant creation of Chanel. Gabrielle Chanel, or well known as Coco Chanel, was one of the first fashion designers in Paris. Replacing the breathtaking (literally) corsets, with comfort and casual elegance.

She was born in 1883 in Saumur, France - her mother worked in the poorhouse where Coco was born. She died when Coco was at the age of 6, leaving her father with five children whom he abandoned to the care of relatives. She adopted the name "Coco" during a brief career as a cafe and concert singers from 1905-1908.

She started a little business, Chanel, with two men in Paris in 1910. Her created simple hats and its became very popular. Following her simple hats, she developed a trend, the "little boy" look. Chanel herself dressed in mannish clothes, and adapted the fashion which women found quite liberating. A fierce little woman who left the world on January 10, 1971. This woman has become a worldwide icon. From Chanel No.5 to her simple little black dress. We will always remember that petite, fierce woman with the clean cut elegance.

2 comments:

  1. Oh , I never know Chanel had so much behind it. I honestly didnt even know she was a person! I thought it was just extremly expensive purses. Im glad to find out its not a dumb company or some dumb celebrity just trying to become rich off stupidy. I may save up to purchase a purse:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew Chanel went that far back! I honestly thought she could still be alive right now. I think it's interesting that she herself dressed in "mannish" clothes considering that now a days Chanel Fashion is considered top of the line.
    So she is the geinuss behind the simpe little black dress. Since what feels like the beginning of time when I tell my mom I need a new dress for an event she always says a simple black dress with never go out of style. According to her its elegant and classy. Maybe Chanel was ahead of her time and knew what she was talking about from the very beginning :)

    ReplyDelete